Every once in a while it is nice to image something nice and bright. With the Moon becoming more of a factor, last night I turned to the Pacman Nebula since it is well placed right now in Cassiopeia. Unfortunately, various and sundry equipment problems decided to show up so I only got 3 hours of good Ha data (30m subs binned 1x1). Still, because Pacman is so bright, even 3 hours of data looks reasonably good.
Here is some of the zoomed in detail.
With the recent new Moon, I have switched away from doing narrowband for a bit. Instead I went after NGC 1579 in Perseus and NGC 891 in Andromeda.
NGC 1579 is sometimes called the Northern Trifid and is a very interesting mix of reflection and emission nebulae, much like its southern namesake. However, it is quite a bit dimmer and is a much more challenging subject. This is doubly so if you have any light pollution. I ended up taking 10 hours 50m of data in LRGB (29, 14, 11, 11 subs of 10m each binned 1x1 respectively). Since this object is well into my worst light pollution lying to the North, I'm pretty happy how it turned out. I also took 6 hours of HA data, but it really does nothing to improve it. The data was taken on October 23rd and 24th, 2014.
NGC 891 is a considerably easier target. This is a relatively bright (magnitude 10.9), and large (11.7'x2.3') galaxy in Andromeda. 7 hours and 40m of RGB data was taken on the nights of the 25th and 26th of October, 2014. Ten minute subs binned 1x1 were used (RGB of 17, 19, 10 respectively). A synthetic L was created using the separate R,G, and B channels combined with a ratio of 1:1:1. I'm very happy with how this one turned out.
I have fooled with my equipment yet again. I went back to my original spacing with the CCDT67. I just wasn't happy with the stars I was getting with the additional 6.7mm of distance between the CCDT67 and the sensor. This meant shooting all new flats.
Here are my occasional thoughts on Astrophotography, Astronomy, and whatever else catches my attention.